Ignite Portland 6 is upon us! This Thursday night, July 16, the Bagdad Theater is *the* place to be in Portland. The talk lineup is awesome, admission is free, and you know you want to come. Whether it’s your first Ignite Portland or your sixth, here are some important things to know to get the most out of the evening:
- Doors Open at 5:00PM – No Ticket Needed. We’ve done away with the ticketing system this time, and we’re just going to open the doors at 5PM, and let people in until we’re full. We haven’t filled the Bagdad since Ignite Portland 2, and the summer Ignites are a little more sparsely attended, so there should be plenty of room for everyone (if you’re worried about getting in, keep reading).
- Overflow at Back Stage. Just in case we do reach capacity at the Bagdad, and for people who want to hang out and watch in a more, um, bar-like atmosphere, we have overflow seating at Back Stage Bar, literally right next door to the Bagdad, which can hold about 150 people. You’ll be able to watch the show and avail yourself of all the services Back Stage offers. Back Stage opens at 5PM. Some people are so excited about this option, they’ve said “I’m going straight to Backstage.” They’ll have a head start on the after party…
- Please, No Seat Saving. We know you’re excited to watch the show with all your friends. And maybe they couldn’t make it down as early as you did. But it’s not fair for one person to squat on a whole bunch of seats with coats, etc. so their friends can saunter in late. Please don’t be a jerk about this. We’ll have ushers milling about to help you remember. We want everyone to have a fair chance at getting a good seat. It’s fine to hold a seat for yourself, so you can get up and order drinks/food, but if your friends come a little later, there’s plenty of room in the balcony, and next door at Backstage. Thanks for understanding.
- Live Video Stream. We experimented with a live video stream at the last Ignite Portland, courtesy of Joe at Blaze Streaming Media, and it worked great. So well, in fact, that we’re doing it again. Come back to this site, IgnitePortland.com, on the day of the show, and you’ll see a streaming player where you can watch LIVE and hang out in the chat with the other cool kids who are watching. This is for our friends who couldn’t make it in person to the Bagdad, and for any Ignite Portland fans outside of Portland. 🙂
- Keep the Beer/Food Lines Moving. One of the awesome things about the Badgad Theater is ordering your favorite beverage with a slice of pizza, a burger, or some tots in the lobby, and having them bring it right to your seat inside the theater. Please do order as much food and drink as you’d like. Just try to keep the lines moving smoothly. Doors open at 5PM, but the show doesn’t start until 7PM. The smart cookies will get their victuals squared away with time to spare (hint hint).
- After Party at Back Stage. Everyone loves a good after party. And you’re all invited to Back Stage Bar, right next door to the Bagdad Theater to compare notes with your friends about your favorite IP6 talk, and start rustling up ideas for the killer talk idea you’re going to submit for IP7. Or, just come hang out and have a drink. Back Stage closes at 12AM. Also, odds are that a few folks will make their way for a fried pie nightcap down at @Whiffies on 12th and Hawthorne…
- Follow @IgnitePortland and Tag Your Stuff “ip6” or “igniteportland”. Make sure you’re following the @IgnitePortland account on Twitter – we’ll be using it for real time updates on things like how much seating is left, etc. And tag your tweets, pics, videos, and whatever else with ip6 or igniteportland to make it easier for everyone to follow the backchannel, and find the bits that you generate.
The time is almost upon us! The organizers are stoked, volunteers are ready, and the speakers are probably nervous. But we know it’s going to be great. So come join us at the Bagdad Thursday night, and let’s Ignite Portland for the sixth time! 🙂