Ignite Portland 5 – February 19th 2009
86 of you were gracious enough to share your burning ideas with us – things that you thought would be great on stage at Ignite Portland 5. You were right. The ideas were great. But, as always, we have to narrow the field down. This time, we chose 17 talks (for a total of 18, including our traditional “What Is Ignite?” talk.
Speakers were notified earlier this week, and the suspense was palpable as people started celebrating (or being bummed out 🙁 ) on Twitter. Now, we reveal the whole lineup. These are the talks that you’ll see on stage at Ignite Portland 5:
- What is Ignite?
- Bram Pitoyo – The Secret History of Fonts You May Not Know Before
- Jim Ayala – The Universe Story
- Aaron Hockley – Reading the Fine Print: You Gave Yourself Away
- Damin Tarlow – If we want to change our environmental impact, forget the cars we need to fix our buildings
- Isaac Potoczny-Jones – Open, Mobile, and Linux: A basic introduction to Android G1 development
- Dr. Jayson Falkner – Science. It works, bitches. DNA Edition.
- John Metta – How to creatively destroy pesky, non-moneymaking community efforts
- A. L. Venable – Fashion! Music! Intrigue!: Why You Should Be Riding the Bus
- Tara Horn – How to be a Refugee: Several not-so-easy steps from oppression to resettlement
- J-P Voillequé – Not your grandma’s game: Why you should be playing bridge.
- Russell Senior – Why Publicly Owned Fiber is the Answer to our Broadband Needs
- Kate “The Great” Folsom – the basics of writing good shit that people enjoy reading
- Chris Sullivan – Ham Radio: It’s not about talking to pork products (but we’re working on that)
- Sarah Gilbert – Hacking life with kids, but without a car
- Jerry Ketel – How to know if you are a Narcissist.
- Selena Deckelmann – How to kill three chickens in three years
- Pete Grillo – Omelettes: Winners and Losers
Congratulations to everyone who was selected – we can’t wait to see you light it up on stage at the Bagdad! And a HUGE thanks to EVERYONE who submitted an idea, whether you were selected or not. We received a record 86 idea submissions this time, and it’s bittersweet to see all of those ideas, knowing that only so many of them can make it on stage. If you weren’t picked, don’t be discouraged, or think that we don’t like you! Competition was fierce, but we’d love it if you resubmit your idea for Ignite Portland 6 when the time comes. Be creative, hack the format, make a video and link it to your submission, and show off why YOU would make a great Ignite speaker. We’d love to have you.
Next up, free tickets for IP5 will be made available on Feb. 5 at 10AM, and they’ll go fast, so mark your calendars, get your tickets (or come hang out with the cool people in the GA line – you should still be able to get in), and we’ll see you on Feb. 19 at the Bagdad! 🙂
Ignite Portland 2